2019 High School Area Show and Congressional Art Competition
Entries accepted: February 1-March 10, 2019
Exhibition Dates: April 26-May 26, 2019
Now in its 37th year, the High School Area Show is a unique opportunity for students in grades 9-12 to have their achievements recognized in a museum. Last year college and art schools awarded over 45 scholarships to exhibiting artists. Eligible students entering the High School Area Show may also have work considered for the 6th District Congressional Art Competition as well.
Students in grades 9-12 who reside in the Michigan counties of Allegan, Barry, Berrien, Branch, Calhoun, Cass, Kalamazoo, St. Joseph, or Van Buren counties are eligible to participate. To enter the Congressional Art Competition (CAC), students must reside in the 6th Congressional District (bolded counties listed above).
Each student artist may submit up to TWO works of art. Student artists may enter ONE 2-D piece for consideration in the CAC. There is an entry fee of $3 per artwork. Students who qualify for free or reduced lunch may waive all fees. Click here to download a fee waiver form.
All entries must be received in digital form. Use the SUBMIT button on this page to find all the competition details and upload your images. Or find printable submitter guidelines here.
- February 1-March 10 - Digital entries accepted
- Monday, March 25 & Tuesday March 26 - Notification Day
- Thursday, April 11 & Friday, April 12; 12-7 pm, Saturday April 13; 12-5 pm - Accepted art delivered
- Saturday, April 13, 5 pm - Deadline for payment to be received by the KIA
- Thursday, April 25; 5:30-7:30 pm - Opening Reception & Award Ceremony (6 pm)
Any student whose work is accepted for exhibition is eligible to receive an award!
Last year, over 45 scholarships and prizes were awarded including:
- Six Juror's $100 cash awards
- KIA Kirk Newman Art School $100 Summer Scholarships
- Western Michigan University Gwen Frostic School of Art Scholarships for undergraduate study
- Kendall College of Art and Design of Ferris State University Scholarships
- Cleveland Institute of Art Scholarships and Summer Program Scholarships for sophomores or juniors plus summer camp scholarships
- University of Michigan Stamps School of Art and Design Scholarship
- Six Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design Scholarships
6th District Congressional Art Competition: One piece will be selected by U.S Representative Fred Upton's office to hang for 1 year in the U.S. Capitol as part of the national Congressional Art Competition. The artist will receive free airfare for two to Washington, D.C. and an invitation to the Artist Reception.
Juror: Jill Waskowsky, Artist and retired Art Teacher, Portage Central High School
For questions about the High School Area Show, contact: Kim Long at email@example.com