2020 High School Area Show and Congressional Art Competition
Entries accepted: January 31-March 8, 2020
Exhibition Dates: April 24-May 24, 2020
Now in its 38th year, the High School Area Show is a unique opportunity for students in grades 9-12 to have their achievements recognized in a museum. Last year eight colleges and art schools awarded over 55 scholarships to exhibiting artists, with a value of more than $750,000. Eligible students entering the High School Area Show may also have work considered for the 6th District Congressional Art Competition as well.
Students in grades 9-12 who reside in the Michigan counties of Allegan, Barry, Berrien, Branch, Calhoun, Cass, Kalamazoo, St. Joseph, or Van Buren counties are eligible to participate. To enter the Congressional Art Competition (CAC), students must reside in the 6th Congressional District (bolded counties listed above).
Each student artist may submit up to TWO works of art. Student artists may enter ONE 2-D piece for consideration in the CAC. The 2-D artwork for CAC entry must be no larger than 26 inches wide by 26 inches tall by 4 inches deep, even when framed. There is an entry fee of $3 per artwork. Students who qualify for free or reduced lunch may waive all fees. Click here to download a fee waiver form.
All entries must be received in digital form. Go to callforentry.org and register by creating an account.
For step-by-step instructions visit www.callforentry.org/how-to-apply-artists/
Access the complete KIA info sheet here.
- January 31-March 8 - Digital entries accepted
- Thursday, March 26 & Friday, March 27 - Notification Day
- Thursday, April 2 & Friday, April 3; 12-7 pm, Saturday April 4; 12-5 pm, Thursday, April 9 & Friday, April 10; 12-7 pm, Saturday April 11; 12-5 pm- Accepted art delivered
- Saturday, April 11, 5 pm - Deadline for payment to be received by the KIA
- Thursday, April 23; 5:30-7:30 pm - Opening Reception & Award Ceremony (6 pm)
Any student whose work is accepted for exhibition is eligible to receive an award!
Last year, over 45 scholarships and prizes were awarded including:
- Six Juror's $100 cash awards
- KIA Kirk Newman Art School $100 Summer Scholarships
- Central Michigan University
- Cleveland Institute of Art Scholarships and Summer Program Scholarships for sophomores or juniors plus summer camp scholarships
- Western Michigan University Gwen Frostic School of Art Scholarships for undergraduate study
- Indiana University South Bend Scholarships
- Kendall College of Art and Design of Ferris State University Scholarships
- Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design Scholarships
- Olivet College Scholarships
- Wayne State University Scholarships
New this year:
- KVCC Center for New Media
6th District Congressional Art Competition:
One piece will be selected by U.S Representative Fred Upton's office to hang for 1 year in the U.S. Capitol as part of the national Congressional Art Competition. The artist will receive free airfare for two to Washington, D.C. and an invitation to the Artist Reception.
This year's juror is Barb Whitney, an arts educator, administrator, and visual artist. In her role as the executive director for Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center she has increased arts engagement through diversity, inclusion, and equity. Of note, Whitney serves as adjunct faculty for Michigan State University and Vice-Chair for the Mayors Arts & Culture Commission in Lansing, and she recently received the Michigan Art Education Associations Distinguished Service Award.
For questions about the High School Area Show, contact: Kim Long at firstname.lastname@example.org