The Way Forward: New Acquisitions at the KIA
July 28 - December 2, 2018
This diverse selection of 80+ works acquired over the last four years reveals our eagerness to enrich one of the community's most treasured assets -- our art collection. In pursuit of our vision to bring the visual arts to everyone, we work to make evident that innovation, intelligence, talent, and beauty exist within and emerges from people representing every walk of life. We seek and acquire new works to expand not just our holdings, but our understanding and appreciation of the culture of the American experience, along with global perspectives of life from around the world. The show includes paintings, photography, collage and mixed media works, drawings, prints and multiples, and ceramics. The first phase of the exhibition will open in the Gross and Markin galleries on July 28, and an international group of artists will be featured in the Joy Light East Asian Gallery beginning August 25.
- Sep 4 ARTbreak Talk: Pewabic Pottery
- Enjoy a talk with Kimberly Dobos, Curator/Archivist from the landmark Detroit ceramic studio, founded in 1903 and known for handcrafted...
- Oct 16 ARTbreak Video: Chris Ofili, The Caged Bird's Song
- In this BBC documentary, we will follow British artist Chris Ofili as he creates a contemporary tapestry that pulls together the sights and...
- Oct 23 ARTbreak Talk: Japanese Contemporary Ceramics
- Ceramist Julie Devers will discuss the works and artists featured in the exhibition The Way Forward and how today's artists have adhered...
Above: Romare Bearden, The Blue Pool (detail), 1973, acrylic and collage on board. Collection of the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts. Elisabeth Claire Lahti Fund purchase.