Employment at the KIA
The Kalamazoo Institute of Arts is a leading nonprofit art museum and school. Since 1924, the institute has offered art classes, exhibitions, lectures, events, activities and a permanent collection. The KIA's mission is to cultivate the creation and appreciation of the visual arts in West Michigan. We believe the visual arts are for everyone. They inspire, fulfill, and transform. Throughout the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, numerous individuals work every day to enrich the lives of others through the visual arts. In addition, faculty members in the Kirk Newman Art School instruct students of all ages in a wide variety of media.
Position Title: Ceramics Lab Technician
Reports to: Chairperson of the Ceramic Department
Classification: Part Time, Non-Exempt
Summary of Position: Maintains the Ceramic studios and outer courtyard.
- Mixes clay, glazes and slips for studio and classroom use.
- Loads and unloads kilns.
- Fire Kilns.
- Studio Maintenance, keeps studios clean and orderly.
- Assists students with question.
- Computes kiln unit charges for each student. Records and gives amount to School Secretary for billing.
- Unloads deliveries of raw materials and deposit into ceramic supply inventory.
- Inventories raw materials twice a year and replenishes as needed.
- Attends Staff Meetings.
- Helps with Holiday Sale, Hands-On/ School Open House and School Arts Fair Booth.
- Other duties as assigned by Chairperson the Ceramics Department or School Director.
- Competency with ceramics materials and equipment, art education methods, and experience working with teens and adults.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to follow curriculum standards, adhere to safety practices, and facilitate independently.
- Demonstrated commitment to values of diversity, inclusion, and learner-centered interpretation strategies.
Physical Job Requirements: While performing this job, the employee will be required to sit, stand, walk, reach, lift/move up to 50 lbs occasionally, and perform repetitive hand movements. Employee must be able to have written and verbal conversations.
The KIA is an equal opportunity, equal access employer that is fully committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
Please forward a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Ceramics Lab Technician in the subject line or by mail to Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, 314 S. Park Street, Kalamazoo, MI 49007. No phone calls, please.