2011 Kalamazoo Institute of Arts Art Fair WINNERS!
Posted: June 4, 2011
Source: Farrell Howe
Job Title: Marketing & PR Coordinator
Phone: (269) 349-7775 ext. 3112
The 2011 Kalamazoo Institute of Arts Art Fair kicked off on Friday, June 3 at noon with fun programs and events for everyone. At the center of attention of course, were the 200 artists who displayed their very best in ceramics, wood, drawing, painting, jewelry and more!
The Kalamazoo Institute of Arts Art Fair is more than just an opportunity for artists to meet the public and sell their work. Of the 400 artists from across the country who applied, 200 were juried by a panel of qualified judges to have a booth at this year's fair. The final 200 competed for cash prizes for overall acknowledgment, and individual recognition for the media they represent.
This year's guest juror is Executive Director of The Krasl Art Center Julia Gourley. The available cash prizes exceed previous years by 55%. Last year, there was $2,900 available in cash prizes. This year, that amount was increased to $4,500.
The winners were announced on Friday, June 4 at 0:00 and they are:
The KIA Board of Directors' First Place Award of Excellence ($1,200):
- Scott Hartley - (Ann Arbor, MI) Painting/Booth J01
Second prizes ($600 each):
- Leah Dziewit - (Maple City, MI) Fiber/Booth G23
- Jeff Condon - (Grand Rapids, MI) Printing/Pastels/Drawing / Booth K02
Third Prizes ($300 each):
- The KIA Staff Appreciation Award sponsored by the Kole Family: Heidi Fahrenbacher - (Plainwell, MI) Ceramics/Booth H05
- The Nancy Springgate and Peter Kushner Third Place Award: Peter Czuk - (Kendall, MI) Wood/Booth A21
- The Carol and Jim Carter Third Place Award: Vinnie Sutherland - (Newaygo, MI) 2D Mixed Media/Booth G04
In addition, category awards are given to artists in each of the 12 media represented at the Art Fair ($100 each). Those winners are:
- 2D Mixed Media: Jerry Berta - Rockford, MI (Booth L14)
- 3D Mixed Media: Steve Curl - Plainwell, MI (Booth I06)
- Ceramics: Kim Krumrey - Petoskey, MI (Booth K12)
- Fiber: Donna Mundschau - Manistee, MI (Booth C01)
- Glass: Susan VanDyke - Wauwatosa, WI (Booth L09)
- Jewelry: Vicki Cook - Watervliet, MI (Booth I01)
- Leather: Mike Barnes - Harbor Springs, MI (Booth I07)
- Painting: Marie Lamothe - Interlochen, MI (Booth G20)
- Photography: Chris Ackerman - Byron Center, MI (Booth D10)
- Printmaking/Pastes/Drawing: Rita Troller - Orland Park, IL (Booth A22)
- Sculpture/Metal: Rebecca Hungerford - St. Joseph, MI (Booth F22)
- Wood: Joseph Graci - Marquette, MI (Booth K17)
Congratulation to our 2011 Kalamazoo Institute of Arts Art Fair winners!
Since 1951, The Kalamazoo Institute of Arts Art Fair is an annual tradition in Kalamazoo. Held in Bronson Park on the first weekend of June, it is one of the oldest art fairs in the country and one of the oldest community events of its size in Kalamazoo. For more information, visit .
The 2011 Kalamazoo Institute of Arts Art Fair is sponsored by: The Ample Pantry, Bell's Brewery, Discover Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo Gazette, Mangia Mangia, Michigan Radio, Panera Bread, River Street Flowerland, Hardings, PNC and the John Fetzer Institute Fund of the Kalamazoo Community Foundation.