2011 Kalamazoo Institute of Arts Art Fair
60th Anniversary! June 3-4, 2011
Posted: May 17, 2011
Source: Farrell Howe
Phone: (269) 349-7775 ext. 3112
2011 T-Shirt Design Contest Winner, Peter Kushner
Kalamazoo, Michigan - Tuesday, May 17, 2011. Show your community pride and support the arts in Kalamazoo by attending the 2011 Kalamazoo Institute of Arts Art Fair in Bronson Park on Friday, June 3, noon-7 pm and Saturday, June 4, 9 am - 4 pm.
It all started over a cup of coffee. In 1951, Clarence Lininger, a commercial photographer and the director of the Kalamazoo Art Center (today the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts) and Philip A. Wight, an art critic for the Kalamazoo Gazette debated over ways to bring art to the public domain. It was important to them to not only bring art to the public, but to bring artists to a public setting to demonstrate their crafts. Thus the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts Art Fair was born, and it has seen many iterations over the last 60 years.
Kalamazoo Institute of Arts Art Fair, 1952.
Recognized as the kick-off of summer in Kalamazoo, the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts Art Fair is one of the oldest, outdoor art fairs in the country, and one of the oldest community events of its size in Kalamazoo! This year the KIA celebrates its 60th Anniversary by making the fair bigger and better than ever!
Come shop the brightly-colored booths of the 200 artists attending this year's art fair. Of these artists, 85% reside outside of Kalamazoo, Allegan and St. Joseph counties and many of them are first-time visitors to the KIA Art Fair. That means more variety of art mediums than ever before!
Join us for Friday at the Fair!
Due to popular demand, the KIA Art Fair has been expanded to a TWO-day fair! Join us for the following exciting events!
- Noon-3 pm: Cirque du K circus club (throughout the park)
- Noon-1 pm: Maple St. Magnet School for the Arts Chamber Music (Rotary stage)
- Noon-7 pm: T-shirt and popcorn sales (center of Bronson Park)
- 3-4 pm: Grace Notes Suzuki Academy Cello Choir (Rotary stage)
- 3-5 pm: Balloon artist Rick Lansdale (throughout the park)
- 5-10 pm: Beer Garden - KIA garden plaza (east end of Institute), serving Bell's Oberon beer & Mangia Mangia grilled items. Live music featuring The Bog Road, 6:30-8:30 pm.
9 am - 4 pm:
- Face Painting (east end of Bronson Park)
- T-shirt, balloon and popcorn sales
- Food Court (south side of Bronson Park) featuring 11 restaurants and food vendors!
- Paint-by-number mural (west end of Bronson Park)
The 2011 Kalamazoo Institute of Arts Art Fair is sponsored by: The Ample Pantry, Bell's Brewery, Discover Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo Gazette, Mangia Mangia, Michigan Radio, Panera Bread, Hardings, PNC, River Street Flowerland and the John Fetzer Institute Fund of the Kalamazoo Community Foundation.
For more information, please visit www.kiarts.org/artfair.