KIA Announces Winners
2011 West Michigan Area Show
Posted: May 9, 2011
Source: Farrell Howe
Phone: (269) 349-7775 ext. 3112
Grand Prize: Gail Potocki, Bee, charcoal on paper in handmade frame
As part of its opening ceremonies, the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts announced award-winners for the 2011 West Michigan Area Show on Friday, May 6. This annual, juried competition drew 650 entries from 330 artists from a 14-county region of West Michigan. Of 116 works accepted for the exhibition, the following were chosen by guest juror John Glick for special merit:
- Grand Prize: Gail Potocki, Bee, charcoal on paper in handmade frame
- Second Prize: Archie Batten, Tide of Oil, oil and acrylic on canvas
- Third Prize: Boyd Quinn, Title Pack, oil on cardboard
- Fourth Prize: Wendy Vaughan, Surrounded, oil on masonite
- Fifth Prize: John Leben, Fukushima, or Bald-Headed Suiters and the Angry Slab, Epson inkjet print on acid-free, rag-based watercolor paper, from a digital painting
- The Martin Maddox Prize for Imaginative Realism: Gail Potocki, Opened Apples, oil on linen in handmade frame
- The Daniel J. and S. Denise Fletcher Award for Exceptional Jewelry: Meg Tang, Murder by Moonlight, sterling silver, leather pendant on a 16" chain
- West Michigan Potters Guild Eleanore Smith Memorial for Ceramics: Sue Leabu, Peeking through Hubble, wood-fired white stoneware
- Weavers Guild of Kalamazoo Award for Fiber: Lestra Hazel, Optical Dis-Illusion, warp rep weaving
- Signature Artists Cooperative Award: P. Catherine Dobbs, Noon Portal, C-Print
- West Michigan Art Quilt Award: Nina Feirer and Patrick Whalen, Blue, Not Gloomy, fabric
- Kalamazoo Knitting Guild Award for Fiber: Kristal Tisdale, Seasons of the Garden, patterned fabric, cyanotype on fabric
- West Michigan Glass Art Center Award: Frank Bylo, Rings of Steel, stained glass
- Ward H. and Cora E. Nay Director's Purchase Prizes: Doug Dykehouse, Obsession, oil on canvas
The 2011 West Michigan Area Show continues through Sunday, June 26. The exhibition is free of charge and open during normal gallery hours at the KIA: Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday from noon-5 p.m.
The exhibition is sponsored by Chemical Bank.
Note: Digital images of winning entries are available on request.