Vote by August 5 for Favorite at West Michigan Area Show
Posted: July 24, 2015
Michigan Artists Shine through August 9 at West Michigan Area Show
People's Choice Award to be presented at Art Hop August 7
KALAMAZOO, MI - The Kalamazoo Institute of Arts will celebrate the popular regional West Michigan Area Show at the August Art Hop, Friday August 7. Admission is free from 5-8 pm. The show will close Sunday, August 9.
The People's Choice Award of $500, sponsored by the Arts Council of Greater Kalamazoo, will be announced at 6:30 pm. Visitors may vote for their favorite through August 5.
The exhibition showcases work in fiber, glass, jewelry, sculpture, drawing, painting, photography, printmaking, and mixed media by artists from 14 counties. Many of the works are available for purchase.
Jurors Hamza Walker, Director of Education of The Renaissance Society at The University of Chicago, and KIA Executive Director Belinda Tate chose 104 artworks out of 581 submissions from 276 artists.
"Exhibiting local artists has been part of our heritage from the start," says Tate. "As part of our mission to help our community create and enjoy visual art, the Area Show offers a chance to exhibit the breadth of talent right here in West Michigan."
More than $4,500 has already been awarded to the following artists:
- Grand Prize: Elisabeth Carnell, L'essentiel est Invisible, saggar-fired white stoneware
- Second Prize: George Robeck, Storage Jar with Cord and Weights, porcelain with fiber cord
- Third Prize: Taylor Mazer, Plow, pen and ink on paper
- Fourth Prize: Albert Lavergne, Cross Arch, fabricated steel
- Fifth Prize: Jonathan Wijnberg, American Liberians, oil on canvas
- Kalamazoo Knitting Guild Award for Fiber: Susan Blackwell Ramsey
- Log Cabin Quilters' West Michigan Art Quilt Award: Ann Baddeley Keister
- Signature Artists Cooperative Award: Thomas Rumsey
- Weavers Guild of Kalamazoo Award for Fiber: Susan Hale
- West Michigan Potters Guild Eleanore Smith Memorial Award for Ceramics: Maria Scott
- Kalamazoo Book Arts Center Award: Crystal Shaulis
- Peepers Stained Glass Award: Linda Kekic
- The Martin Maddox Prize for Imaginative Realism: Joseph Cherian
- Ward H. and Cora E. Nay Director's Purchase Prizes: Elisabeth Carnell, Mary Whalen
Corporate sponsors for the show are Chemical Bank, Meijer, and Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs.