at the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts
Posted: December 3, 2012
Source: Farrell Howe
Job Title: Marketing & PR Coordinator
Phone: (269) 349-7775 ext. 3112
With such balmy weather, its hard to believe that the holidays are just around the corner! If you are looking for an escape from the hustle and bustle of shopping and festivity preparations, then visit the KIA for some of these great programs!
Opens Dec. 15: The Arts of China and Japan: Selections from the Collection
ARTbreak, Tuesdays at Noon
From the School
- Dec. 5, 6:30-8:30 pm: Winter Season Container Garden: Extend your garden season by filling your containers with fresh cut greens and seasonal items. Learn how to accent your pots and window boxes while filling a paper-mache pot suitable for outdoor use with freshly cut local greens, bright stems, berries and other finds. When filled, it can be used as a stand-alone pot, or inserted in a decorative pot. KIA Members: $45, Non-Members: $65
- Dec. 11, 6:30-8:30 pm: Bird Lover's Wreath: Create a beautiful wreath using a variety of mixed evergreens, birdseed accents and a natural birdhouse gourd that can be outdoors for seasonal enjoyment by our feathered friends. KIA Members: $45 Non-Members: $65
- Dec. 27 & Jan. 3: Winter Art Camp: Students will be introduced to the KIA's current exhibitions and the Permanent Collection as inspiration for the creation of their own works of art. Students should bring their imagination and creativity. All materials are provided. Morning, afternoon or full-day sessions are available to better suit the creative desires of your child. Full day sessions include a one-hour supervised lunch period. Please send a sack lunch with your child each day if he or she is attending the full day session.
Full Day: KIA Members: $55, non-members: $75
Half Day: KIA Members: $35, Non-members: $55
-Dec. 12, 10 am: Art League Lecture: Furniture Design as Art: Eames Furniture History: Carla Atwood Hartman, the granddaughter of Charles and Ray Eames, will discuss the history of the famous Eames furniture design and lead a tour of Good Design: Stories from Herman Miller at the Kalamazoo Valley Museum after the lecture reception. Free for Art League Members/$10 KIA Members/$12 general admission/$3 students with valid college ID.
-Dec. 20, 12 pm: Get the Picture Gallery Talk! Right of Way and Heart of the Andes: Escape from the holiday hustle and bustle with in our quiet galleries as you explore the work of two American artists who found special, yet very different, meaning in images of the landscape. Examine differences and similarities and as well reasons why artists borrow imagery in what is sure to be a thought-provoking discussion. $5 KIA Members / $7 Non-members
Free Public Tours, Sundays, 2 pm:
- Dec. 2: Great Lakes Pastel Society
- Dec. 9: Wang Collection-Asian Gallery
- Dec. 16: A Legacy for Kalamazoo: Highlight 3 Artists
- Dec. 23: Treasures from Kalamazoo Collections
For more information about these and other great KIA events, please visit our website or call (269) 349-7775.