Kalamazoo Institute of Arts
Building Utilization Policies and General Rules
Welcome to the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts. The information below provides guidelines about the rental and use of our facility. Please note:
- No area of the Museum may be altered to accommodate an event.
- No Museum exhibitions, collections, and furnishings may be moved.
- Exhibitions are subject to change without notice.
- Parts of the lobby and the school commons may be used for display in conjunction with selected exhibitions.
- All events must conclude by midnight.
- Individual members at the Patron Level ($250.00 per year) and above.
- Corporate members at the Benefactor Level ($1,000 per year) and above.
- Not-for-profit organizations.
- Such other individuals or groups as the KIA's Executive Director, in the exercise of his discretion, deems consistent with the goals and mission of the KIA.
- The KIA premises shall not be used for wedding ceremonies, religious observances or political fundraisers.
Rental Requests/Rental Approval
- The KIA Facility Rental Coordinator is responsible for scheduling, contracting, and coordinating all requested uses.
- All requests are subject to the approval of the Executive Director. The premises shall be used only for those approved activities.
- A signed Facilities Use Agreement along with a 25% non-refundable deposit is required to confirm a reservation. All fees must be paid 30 days in advance of the desired date.
- A single contact person must be designated to represent the sponsoring individual or organization in all matters.
- The number of guards is based upon the number of guests and the area of the building being utilized.
- The guards are present to protect the Art Institute's property and to assist visitors in find their way to the areas contracted under the Facilities Use Agreement.
- Security personnel reserve the right to ask anyone to leave who is acting in a manner that puts the artwork, the facility, or other guests at risk.
Set up Requirements
- A final floor plan indicating table and chair placement, food/beverage and other service tables, musicians or DJ site, etc. is to be provided no later than ten (10) days prior to the rental date.
- Changes to this plan within ten (10) days of the event may result in additional cost.
- Changes within thirty-six (36) hours of the event may not be accommodated.
- Any Audio/Visual presentation must be reviewed for equipment compatibility a minimum of forty-eight (48) hours prior to use. The KIA cannot be liable for equipment malfunction. No item can be placed within 39 inches from any work of art. No work of art can be touched, handled or moved lessee or it's invitees, agents, guests or employees.
- Decorations must be fire resistant and may be suspended in the auditorium along the walls using KIA provided special hangers. They must not be attached to any surface of the building.
- Flower petals and glitter/confetti are prohibited both inside and outside the building.
- Votive candles and candles with hurricanes are permitted for table tops in the auditorium only. Balloons are not allowed in any room. All decorations must be removed by10:00 a.m. of the following calendar day or risk additional charges.
- Any signage or other displays, along with the placement of such signage or displays, is subject to the approval of the KIA and must be arranged with the Facility Rental Coordinator.
Food, Drinks, and Pets
- No food or drink is allowed in the Galleries. Pets are not allowed inside or outside the building.
- Service of alcoholic beverages may be permitted provided no fee or other form of remuneration is charged which would give rise to the need for a license from the Michigan Liquor Control Commission.
- If your event requires a license, you are responsible for obtaining the license.
- A copy of the license must be provided to the Facility Rental Coordinator at least one week prior to the event. Service of alcoholic beverages shall be done in strict compliance with all applicable laws.
- Beverages may be consumed in the courtyard if that is included in the Facilities Use Agreement.
- Bar and keg service must close one half hour prior to the end of the event.
- Event hosts and attendees may not keep KIA security personnel and/or bartenders from limiting guests' alcohol consumption.
- Caterers engaged or employed by the Lessee must be acceptable to the KIA and must provide evidence of insurance in amount and form satisfactory to the KIA.
- Tables for food or drink are not allowed within four feet of any art work.
- Caterer or sponsor is responsible for clean up and must leave the food preparation and the loading dock areas in the same condition in which they were found.
- All rental materials must be removed by 10:00 a.m. the following calendar day or risk additional charges.
Please contact the Facility Rental Coordinator for further clarification or information either at (269) 349-7775 ext. 3114 or by email.
By signing this document, the Lessee agrees to abide by these rules and will be accountable for any infractions that occur.