2017 West Michigan Area Show
March 4 - May 28, 2017
The work of West Michigan's talented community of visual artists is on display at the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts' annual West Michigan Area Show. Since the 1960s, this annual juried exhibition has showcased exceptional work in all media, drawing hundreds of entries from a 14-county region. Each year, an experienced juror chooses the artists from more than 500 submitted entries, ranging from paintings, prints and photos to mosaics, ceramics, jewelry, sculpture and mixed-media works.
Get a preview of the exhibition with this virtual tour by Virtual Spaces, LLC.
The public is invited to cast a vote for their favorite during the exhibition's run, and the People's Choice Award ($500), sponsored by the Arts Council of Greater Kalamazoo, will be announced near the end of the exhibition. Organized by Karla J. Niehus, Interim Curator of Exhibitions, the exhibition will be on view through May 28.
- Apr 7 Art Hop
- Experience a full night of free admission to the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts. Featuring a Night of Printmaking with the Kirk Newman Art...
- Apr 23 Sunday Tour: West Michigan Area Show, 2D
- This annual juried exhibition showcases the work of area artists from 14 Michigan counties. The exhibit is very eclectic and colorful with...
- Apr 25 ARTbreak Talk: West Michigan Area Show Artists
- Join us as two artists in this year's juried West Michigan Area Show speak about their work.
- May 16 ARTbreak Talk: West Michigan Area Show Artists
- Hear from two of the excellent artists in this year's juried West Michigan Area Show.
- May 16 ARTbreak: Talk: West Michigan Area Show Artists
- Join us as two of the excellent artists in this year's juried West Michigan Area Show speak about their work.
This year's juror, Fiona Ragheb, is a Detroit-based curator with more than 20 years experience. She holds advanced degrees in art history and architecture. Her career includes work at the Walker Art Center, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, and the Broad Art Foundation.
Additional support provided by David Isaacson in memory of his wife, Helen Sheridan.
2017 Area Show Winners Gallery
Deborah Rockman, Companions 8, low-tech digital drawing on photograph. Helen Sheridan Memorial Grand Prize Winner
Cindi Ford, Vulnerable VII, etching, moku hanga, monotype, linocut, and collage. Third Place Winner.
Taylor Mazer, And More Stairs, pen and ink on paper. Ward H. and Cora E. Nay Director's Purchase Prize.
Kalamazoo Knitting Guild Award for Fiber: Linda Wolf, Nanuk of the North, commercial cotton fabric, pieced, appliquéd, painted, fused, and embroidered
Kalamazoo Log Cabin Quilters' Art Quilt Award: Jacqueline Skarritt, My Life in Circles: a Circle(s) a Day 2016, hand appliqued, pieced, and stitched; machine quilted by the artist
Ninth Wave Studio Award for Ingenuity in Mixed Media or Intermedia: Eana Agopian, Meiosis, collage, hand-colored image transfer, screenprinting, copperplate etching, acrylic paint, mica powder, glitter, polyresin
The Martin Maddox Prize for Imaginative Realism: Craig Bishop, Germanic Influence of Men & Women from Dürer to Barbie, oil on linen
Southwest Michigan Printmakers Excellence in Printmaking Award: Deborah Mattson, Shingebiss: an Ojibwe Folktale, artist's book, etchings and letterpress
Weavers Guild of Kalamazoo Award for Fiber: Alyssa Roach, Give the Sun Back to the Whales, ink, fabric, and thread
West Michigan Potters Guild Eleanore Smith Memorial Award for Ceramics: Betsy Vollmar, Underneath, stoneware, underglaze, borax, and shellac