Employment at the KIA
The Kalamazoo Institute of Arts is a leading nonprofit art museum and school. Since 1924, the institute has offered art classes, exhibitions, lectures, events, activities and a permanent collection. The KIA's mission is to cultivate the creation and appreciation of the visual arts in West Michigan. We believe the visual arts are for everyone. They inspire, fulfill, and transform. Throughout the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, numerous individuals work every day to enrich the lives of others through the visual arts. In addition, faculty members in the Kirk Newman Art School instruct students of all ages in a wide variety of media.
The KIA is an equal opportunity employer that offers a competitive salary and benefits package that includes medical, dental, life, retirement savings, and more.
Reporting to the Head of Security, this position provides a safe, secure environment for KIA employees, faculty, volunteers and visitors. Ensures protection of KIA buildings, parking lots, grounds, and contents. HOURS: This is a part-time position. Hours will vary Tuesday through Sunday, and include evening hours.
- Observes visitor behavior while in the upper and lower galleries, school commons, gallery shop, and the exterior of the KIA
- Greets and offers assistance to all who enter the KIA
- Informs visitors, if necessary, of gallery policies such as the photography policy and no touching artwork
- Opens and closes the upper and lower galleries. Makes the closing announcement over the PA system
- Provides security guard coverage at special events as scheduled, including weekends and evenings
- Prepares incident reports as needed
- Reviews and is familiar with the fire safety and severe weather policies
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Head of Security
Apply in person weekdays 8 am-5 pm at the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, 314 S. Park St., Kalamazoo MI 49007. No phone calls.